Login

Forgot your password?

REGISTER

Your first download is FREE.

Defense Budget Alert

March 01, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

The Defense Department is garnering praise on Capitol Hill for plans to boost investments in audit readiness by hundreds of millions of dollars over the next five years to meet an accelerated audit goal.

March 01, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

Fiscal belt-tightening is prompting the Joint Requirements Oversight Council -- the Pentagon panel of four-star officers that validates the need for weapon systems -- to look for alternative ways to utilize existing capabilities rather than immediately endorsing new programs, DOD officials recently told government auditors.

February 22, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

Congress should not take any legislative action in response to the Pentagon's fiscal year 2013 budget request until lawmakers receive a risk assessment from the Defense Department, Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) said last week.

February 17, 2012 | Daily News

The Air Force will be pouring about $81 million more into its RQ-4 Global Hawk unmanned aircraft program in fiscal year 2013 than the service initially projected it would need last year, despite a Feb. 6 Pentagon announcement that the Block 30 variant of the Global Hawk program would be terminated.

February 17, 2012 | Daily News

The Air Force has determined that a trio of delays in nuclear enterprise modernization programs  represents a manageable risk and will still allow those programs to meet combatant commander requirements, according to a service official.

February 16, 2012 | Daily News

Congress should not take any legislative action in response to the Pentagon's fiscal year 2013 budget request until lawmakers receive a risk assessment from the Defense Department, Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) said today.

Ayotte, the Senate Armed Services readiness and management support subcommittee ranking member, said lawmakers, the American people and U.S. allies don't know about the type of risks associated with DOD's budget in light of plans to cut hundreds of billions of dollars in planned spending over the next decade.

February 16, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

The Defense Department's latest budget blueprint slashes funding for a program designed to strike worldwide targets in under an hour.

February 16, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

U.S. Special Operations Command plans to launch a handful of new programs in fiscal year 2013 to enable elite forces to exchange clandestine information and to access near real-time intelligence.

February 16, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

Defense officials are mulling different funding models to support the development, deployment and sustainment of enterprise-wide capabilities used by the entire department, according to the Pentagon's chief information officer.

February 16, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

The Pentagon's fiscal year 2013 budget request seeks $11.9 billion for science and technology, cutting overall investment by $300 million compared to FY-12 while boosting funding for select S&T areas tied to pressing needs.

February 16, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

The Pentagon's new budget request calls for launching multimillion-dollar efforts to track energy production and usage across the department's real-property portfolio.

February 15, 2012 | Daily News

The Defense Department is seeking congressional permission to shift $571.4 million in fiscal year 2012 spending to fund a raft of programs deemed "urgent warfighter" needs, including two Army programs to defeat Taliban tactics in Afghanistan and more than a dozen projects to enhance airborne surveillance and intelligence capabilities.

February 14, 2012 | Daily News

The Pentagon plans to downgrade the Sea-Based X-band Radar's operational status beginning in the third quarter of fiscal year 2013, officials announced yesterday.

According to the Missile Defense Agency's FY-13 research, development, test and evaluation budget justification document, SBX "will be placed in a limited test support status, recallable to active operational status when indications and warnings indicate [a] need for enhanced discrimination."

February 14, 2012 | Daily News

The Navy will not move forward with plans to move a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to Naval Station Mayport in Florida for at least five years, though it will send a three-ship amphibious readiness group to Mayport in 2015 instead.

"The Navy will demonstrate its continued commitment to strategic dispersal by moving a three-ship amphibious ready group in 2015, four years earlier than planned for the carrier," Navy spokeswoman Lt. Courtney Hillson told Inside the Navy today.

February 14, 2012 | Daily News

The Navy will be "taking risk" by planning toward a fleet of just 30 amphibious ships, one of many areas where the service will have to tighten its belt in the coming years, Rear Adm. Joseph Mulloy, the Navy's deputy assistant secretary of the budget, said today.

February 14, 2012 | Daily News

The Pentagon today rolled out a defense budget request for fiscal year 2013 that includes $185 billion for the Army, announcing program terminations expected to be worth $4.7 billion over the next five years.

Largely in line with the Obama administration's talk of fewer U.S. ground forces and a congressional mandate to shave $259 billion from the defense budget over five years, the Army's FY-13 request -- $135 billion in the base budget and $50 billion in overseas contingency operations -- compares to $203 billion enacted in FY-12.

February 13, 2012 | Daily News

The Defense Department's modernization programs, which account for roughly a fifth of the Pentagon's annual budget, absorbed more than half of the $45.3 billion in cuts imposed on the military's fiscal year 2013 spending request, according to budget documents and senior officials.

The Pentagon's FY-13 budget request was hit with $24 billion in modernization cuts, including $18 billion sliced from procurement accounts and $6 billion removed from research, development, test and evaluation spending.

February 13, 2012 | Daily News

(Editor's Note: This story has been updated to reflect additional information released by Air Force officials this afternoon.)

The Air Force's fiscal year 2013 budget request recommends moving the procurement of 98 Joint Strike Fighter aircraft out of the current five-year defense plan, buying half as many MQ-9 Reapers as in FY-12, cutting two acquisition programs designed to build partnership capacity and continuing early research on a next-generation bomber to the tune of $6.3 billion over the next five years, two senior service budget officials said this morning.

February 13, 2012 | Daily News

The Pentagon's fiscal year 2013 request for the baseline budget and war spending seeks $178.8 billion for the development and purchase of new weapons and technology, including $109.1 billion for procurement and $69.7 billion for research and development.

Most of that funding -- $169.7 billion -- is in the base budget. The remaining $9.1 billion appears in the overseas contingency account. Of the $178.8 billion, $72.3 billion is for major defense acquisition programs.

February 09, 2012 | Inside the Pentagon

Although the Pentagon's fiscal year 2013 budget has yet to be fully unveiled, the Defense Department has already started drafting the classified planning guidance that will inform its next budget cycle, according to a senior military official.

Pages