DefenseAlert, March 4, 2014 -- The Pentagon today unveiled a $495.6 billion fiscal year 2015 spending request that is $45.2 billion -- or 8 percent -- below what it had planned to spend, with military leaders arguing for significantly more in the near future to support a newly updated national defense strategy and associated force structure and modernization plans.
DefenseAlert, March 4, 2014 -- Defense Department officials are looking at innovative ways to position forces around the world to buttress a smaller force size and mitigate the effects of declining defense budgets, according to the latest Quadrennial Defense Review released today.
DOCUMENT: Defense Department's 2014 QDR
DefenseAlert, March 4, 2014 -- The Missile Defense Agency this week announced plans to redesign the exoatmospheric kill vehicle that rides atop the Ground-based Midcourse Defense interceptors now deployed in Alaska and California, requesting $99.5 million for the effort in the Pentagon's fiscal year 2015 budget.
- Army Adjusts To Declining Budget Levels In FY-15 Request
- Spending Cuts Hit Navy Aircraft, Weapons Procurement In FY-15 Budget
- Air Force Blue Budget Request Calls For $109 Billion; Funds F-35, First KC-46 Procurement
- Air Force Proposes Near-term Divestment Of Some JSTARS, AWACS Aircraft
- CRH Program Funded, In A Way, Through FYDP
Defense Budget Alert
More than $182 million in funds appropriated in fiscal years 2012, 2013 and 2014 for U-2 spy plane modification and development remains unspent, according to budget figures released by the Air Force.
On March 7, 2014, the Navy issued its fiscal year 2015 operations and maintenance budget justification book.
On March 7, 2014, the Marine Corps issued its fiscal year 2015 operations and maintenance budget justification book.
The U.S. Pacific Command chief is "concerned" about procurement decisions made in terms of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft that was reflected in the budget submitted to Congress last week.
Pressed by the "realities of constrained budgets," the Army made significant cuts to the Warfighter Information Network-Tactical program, including its planned aerial layer, according to the Defense Department's fiscal year 2015 budget request.
Though the Army has touted the Network Integration Evaluation as a valuable feature of its acquisition system, the Pentagon's newest spending plan cuts funding for the biannual event by nearly half, according to budget documents released last week.
Homeland Defense Watch
On Feb. 26, 2014, the House Armed Services Committee held a hearing on the postures of U.S. Northern and Southern commands. Includes the opening statements of committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-CA) and Ranking Member Adam Smith (D-WA) as well as the prepared testimony of NORTHCOM chief Gen. Charles Jacoby and SOUTHCOM chief Gen. John Kelly.
The Federal Aviation Administration is working to propose a ruling on small unmanned aircraft systems sometime this year, an administration spokeswoman said on Jan. 14. The highly anticipated draft ruling is expected to define what constitutes a small UAS and where it can operate.
The Federal Aviation Administration this week announced its much-anticipated selection of six public entities to be tasked with developing test sites and performing research and development work critical to integrating unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace.
- Navy's FY-15 O&M Budget Justification Book
- Marine Corps' FY-15 O&M Budget Justification Book
- Navy Reserve's FY-15 O&M Budget Justification Book
- Marine Corps Reserve's FY-15 O&M Budget Justification Book
- GAO Report On Air Force DEAMS Implementation
Inside the Navy
- Navy: Seahawk Cuts In FY-16 Due To Reduction In Surface Ship Quantities
- LCS Remote Minehunting System Operational Assessment Delayed Until July
Inside the Army
Inside Missile Defense
- MDA To Redesign Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle
- QDR: U.S. Should Emphasize 'Actively Countering' Ballistic Missiles
Inside the Pentagon
- Long-Range Standoff Missile Development Pushed Back By Three Years
- Pentagon Seeks $5.1B For Defensive, Offensive Cyberspace Operations
Inside the Air Force
Sign up to be emailed whenever budget news breaks.
News on Navy helicopters, the Remote Minehunting System, the SSBN(X) program and more.
Manage various aspects of your NewsStand account from changing your password to editing your billing information.
Now there's another way to access subject-specific content from InsideDefense.com and DefenseNewsStand.com. Our new E-Letters, delivered weekly by e-mail directly to your inbox, offer complete content packages covering ground vehicles, fixed-wing aircraft, or unmanned systems, all at highly affordable subscription rates.