DefenseAlert, Sept. 15, 2014 -- The program office overseeing the Air Force's E-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System recapitalization effort plans to release a draft set of requirements for the next-generation system to industry by the end of the month. The release will inform a solicitation in fiscal year 2015 for risk-reduction work and prototype demonstrations.
DefenseAlert, Sept. 12, 2014 -- The Air Force wants to ramp up development and modification work on its 30,000-pound, bunker-buster bomb and has requested authority from Congress to realign $121 million in fiscal year 2014 overseas contingency operations funds to get started.
DOCUMENT: DOD's OCO Reprogramming Request
DefenseAlert, Sept. 12, 2014 -- The Pentagon and the Office of Management and Budget have asked Congress for permission to use wartime dollars to fund increased naval operations in Iraq, according to a Navy official and a reprogramming request obtained by Inside the Navy.
- McKeon: FY-15 Policy Bill Authorizes Enough Money For Expansion Of ISIS Attacks
- Obama's New ISIS Strategy Calls For Airstrikes In Syria And Training Rebels In Saudi Arabia
- Export Control Reform Nearing Full Deregulation, Officials Say
- Upcoming Strategy To Boost DISA's Role As Network Defender
- Contingency Operations Could Push Back Air Force's Predator Phaseout Plan
Defense Budget Alert
National Guard Bureau Chief Gen. Frank Grass believes cutting the National Guard by roughly 30,000 soldiers would trigger costs upwards of $1 billion.
The Army's chief of staff said he can't reduce the service's end-strength numbers any faster than is currently happening, meaning sequestration will hit modernization and readiness the hardest.
The latest installment of Better Buying Power -- the Pentagon's marquee acquisition improvement initiative -- aims to stimulate technological innovation by increasing the involvement of defense contractors in the weapons program requirements process.
The Army is in the preliminary stages of creating a "cyber branch," where the service's cyber warriors would be trained and managed, according to the deputy chief of Army Cyber Command.
The Defense Information System Agency, the Army and the Air Force expect to release a joint solicitation for a suite of communications tools dubbed "Unified Capabilities" this fall, according to top Army officials.
The Air and Missile Defense Radar program successfully completed its second major design review late last month, the Navy announced, and remains on track for delivery to the next generation of Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers.
Homeland Defense Watch
U.S. Northern Command and the federal government have yet to hammer out the details of who is authorized to deal with some types of malware in the event of a cyber attack on the United States, according to NORTHCOM's commander.
The July 17, 2014, Government Accountability Office report finds that a February 2014 Defense Department report to Congress "provides limited insight on improvements to homeland missile defense and acquisition plans."
In a Jan. 9, 2014, letter, Rep. Don Young (R-AK) expresses his concern over the cancellation of Red Flag excercises in his state in 2013.
- DOD's Better Buying Power 3.0 White Paper
- Marine Corps Crisis-Response Readiness Exercise Briefing Slides
- ASB Terms Of Reference For 'Decisive Army Strategic And Expeditionary Maneuver' Study
- Lockheed Martin Presentation On The JSF Program
- GAO Report On Defense Department Joint Bases
Inside the Navy
- Navy Moving Forward With 'Paper Review' Of LX(R) Amphibious Program
- USMC Will Brief Industry On Amphibious Combat Vehicle 1.1 This Week
Inside the Army
- Major Army Missile Competition Expected To Launch In Coming Weeks
- Bell Pushes Hard On Capitol Hill To Keep Surplus Army Helos Off The Market
Inside Missile Defense
- SM-3 Block IB Failure Review Findings Due Within Weeks
- IG: MDA Failed To Consider Audit Results Before Awarding Billion-Dollar GMD Contract
Inside the Pentagon
- Pentagon Faces Competing Budget Pressures As ISIS Strategy Emerges
- DOD Acquisition Chief To Release Better Buying Power 3.0 This Week
Inside the Air Force
Sign up to be emailed whenever budget news breaks.
News on Better Buying Power 3.0, the UH-1N Huey helicopter and comprehensive coverage of this week's AFA conference.
Manage various aspects of your NewsStand account from changing your password to editing your billing information.
Now there's another way to access subject-specific content from InsideDefense.com and DefenseNewsStand.com. Our new E-Letters, delivered weekly by e-mail directly to your inbox, offer complete content packages covering ground vehicles, fixed-wing aircraft, or unmanned systems, all at highly affordable subscription rates.